Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Well, I guess it's all about setbacks. I broke my toe, ouch. My little toe. I've taped up my foot, but it still hurts to run, so I did the elliptical machine this morning and I'll go back to do some weightlifting and then some swimming (which I need to do anyway). I am still sore from my fall this weekend too, so I'm going to have to take it easy for a couple of days.

I've always had this list of goals I was to achieve by a certain age. Many of them I have indeed achieved within the established deadline and some I have not yet accomplished but still plan to do. At 4, my goal was to be able to snap by the time I finished Kindergarten, did that. (I started Kindergarten early because I have a December birthday). At 5, to ride a two-wheel bike w/out training wheels. (with many cuts and bruises I achieved that). My brother, who is six years older taught me how to ride my bike, by promising not to let go and obviously not being honest about that, then yelling at me. It worked.

By 30 I was to finish my first book. I'm still working on that. However, I have had a few long cover magazine articles published over the years and I am published regularly in newspapers, so I haven't been idle on the whole writing thing. Did you know that when I was about 12 years old, I once saw this 60 minutes edition on how the news is generated and they did a big profile of the AP and UPI (when it was in its heyday) and I decided at that point that I wanted to do that- be the real source of news that all the broadcast and papers just steal from. My apols to Vic across the street from my parents, but hey, TV just isn't journalism in my mind.

By 40 I was to run a marathon and I'm still working on that. But I have NOW decided to add some more goals and I feel pretty confident that I will achieve these. I AM going to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro in either late 2006 or more likely spring of 2007. Each year thereafter I want to summit all of the major peaks, McKinley, Everest and yes, ultimately K2. My husband does not want to do this with me.

When I told my mother this latest goal- "You mean in Africa? You're off your rocker, but you're crazy enough to do it." I think in a Morrison family kind of way, that was somewhat of an endorsement. As a baby step, I'm going to do some climbs in the Rockies this late spring and summer. I don't have any fancy equipment, so I'm going to do these hikes with some sort of outfitter. I've only repelled once in my life and I LOVED IT. I'm not really afraid of heights if I don't have to worry about my kids- THEY WILL NOT BE COMING. I just really don't like wildlife if there are no bars separating me from it. So the whole animal thing is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Please, I would welcome any joiners- If you are indeed interested in doing a hike in the states with me (to start) let's get going on that.- I am going to sign up for something in the next couple of weeks.

TODAY, I am registering for the GREAT CHESAPEAKE BAY swim. I'm doing the 1 -mile race this year not the 4.4 mile across the bay race because I have been busy training for the triathlon and don't really have the time to prepare for a 4.4 mile swim. The race is on June 11. I put on my Orca speed suit the other day and I don't LOOK like an Orca in it anymore! Actually kindof curvy. Hmm. watch out, this woman is getting dangerous!

It has indeed been a bouncy road for me, both emotionally and physically. The thing is, the sun always rises and I have a new day to tackle. That's a great thing.

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS TODAY:

1. another day
2. an impeccable will- in 1980 someone told me I had one (didn't agree with it of course) and to this day I think that is the most significant thing anyone has ever said to me. I read that letter every once in a while for a little perk.
3. a world full of great mountain peaks
4. the way my toe felt BEFORE I broke it
5. strength

No comments: