Monday, January 16, 2006

Today I was officially inducted into the triple digit sorority of Iron Maidens. (women who bench more than 100 lbs). I will get this very unattractive black and silver muscle shirt that I will have to wear (kindof like a uniform) monday/weds/Friday to my weight lifting club. It's a great group of women and I've enjoyed being in the club- I'm also really strong!

Went on a five mile bike ride, did it in 15 minutes at what felt like a leisurely pace. I rode on Sligo Creek parkway- it was really pretty- I forgot how much I love bike riding. When I was in my 20s I would wake up on Saturday mornings and ride to Mt Vernon from Adams Morgan- I used to love that time to myself.

All of this above seems meaningless, when I tell you about my next issue. A friend of mine, a new one I've made in the St. Bernadett's choir, died this weekend. She's been really sick since Thanksgiving and she is at peace now. But I am really sad and I'm really going to miss her. Dorothy was a really strong and kind woman and she made me feel really welcomed into the choir. She and I last Spring worked several hours a week together organizing the music and she gave me the lowdown on everyone in the choir- Not in a gossipy way, but in this motherly way- She thought and prayed about every person in that choir.

I'm happy I had the time I could with her, but I will really miss her. Losses like this are a reminder to me that we are frail and that our time here can end at any moment. We must cherish the time we have with friends and family. I hope I spend the bulk of my time on this earth doing the right thing.

five favorite things today:

1. having had the opportunity to be friends with Dorothy
2. beautiful Sligo Creek parkway
3. being inducted into the Iron Maidens
4. being reminded that our time on this earth is limited
5. gentle reminders to do the right thing.

CARPE DIEM!!

No comments: