Friday, April 25, 2014

Dealing with what I have

So yesterday I received some pretty bad news about my knee. It's shot- eventually I will need a replacement, I have advanced osteoarthritis, the meniscus is spent etc. I was hoping there would be some very solvable problem, but that is not the case. My doctor will not perform a knee replacement on me because I am too young and too active. I need to figure out how to navigate with this bum knee.
I gave myself a bit of "woe is me" time and then decided to have an action plan, much of which is already in place. This is my life. I have a bad knee- I know people with worse situations. So I'm going to continue the weight loss. I think getting at the bottom range of my recommended weight will help and reduce as much stress as possible on the knee. Secondly I'm going to push through it. I can't run or do high impact sports but I can cycle and swim and lift weights. So that's what I'm going to do.

On another more personal note, I've been thinking about taking more control of the things I want. I've been doing a bit of waiting around and I'm not going to do that anymore. It's making me feel bad about myself.

five favorite things
1. that I am the kind of person who comes up with an action plan
2. that I will manage all of this
3. that i'm here and not where I was a few months ago
4. that I will learn to take better care of myself
5. greek yogurt.

No comments: