Thursday, February 28, 2008

Percent vs. actual heart rate- it matters!

So i used my new heart monitor yesterday evening in spin class, programmed in my age, weight etc and hit the start button when the wheels started spinning. I know my range for a moderate to heavy workout is about 160 to 185 but I kept spinning and spinning and getting really out of breath and tired but I couldn't get above 90. During a couple of climbs I got up to 94 and was completely shocked because I was really out of breath and getting really tired and really feeling like I was working hard.

So I brought this up with my friend and wondered why I would feel so tired but couldn't get my heart rate above 94. As it turns out, what I was seeing was percentage points, not the actual heart rate and for the bulk of my workout I was operating at about 90 percent! (180, not 94) so there you have it. I burned off 512 calories (in addition to the 174 during the killer ab class) and now I am clear on the percentage/vs heart rate stuff.

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS:
1. having my freedom
2. a good warm coat on a day like today
3. excellent scenery.
4. being able to multi-task
5. those who understand my humor.

No comments: