Sunday, February 24, 2008

tri-shorts are not a good thing for long rides

So I ended up doing a rather long ride today- I started out at 6 am and it was very very cold. I rode from colesville, maryland (which is north of silver spring) through Spencerville, Sunshine, Unity and then into Mt. Airy in Howard County toward frederick over South Mountain and then back.

I'm exausted and I have no voice and I'm hurting in a bad sort of way because I wore triathlon shorts that are little too big instead of my bike shorts under my biking tights- and now there is a bit of a chafing issue- needless to say all the times I told my friend Leslie that the Chamois butter stuff was unnecessary I am now paying dearly. It's not fun- but I can tell you I had a great ride

According to my heart monitor I burned almost 900 calories while maintaining a heart rate in the 160 to 180 range- (it was a bit higher on south mountain!) anyway I seem to have lost my voice after all this-- I don't know why exactly- it's not like I was yelling- but I don't have a voice.

It was very very cold- i didn't warm up till about mile 24 for some reason and then I stayed pretty warm until I got back to my car. With all the bike gear on- toe warmers, hoods, tightfitted layers of biking jerseyes, and jackets- I looked like something out of a star wars movie-- i never in my life imagined I'd be looking like that! anyway- I had a great ride- Nothing beats blue skies, clean air, your thoughts and making a dream happen.

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS:

1. the hot tea I enjoyed after a long ride
2. getting over south mountain without dying
3. the bath i just took
4. being able to feel my toes
5. a voice, when i eventually get mine back.

No comments: