Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's where you are going that matters

I meet these people in life and they are so accomplished. And of course then I made the assumption that they must indeed be the best and kindest and most honest people on the planet. It all makes sense doesn't it? if you spend so much energy getting away from bad stuff, there can't be any bad in you.

Sometimes you meet people who have risen from such poverty or hardship and you just want to hold onto them and hope their strength will pour off onto you.

But an old friend points out that from where a person came is only half the story. Where that person is headed is the other half, in fact probably more important than anything else.

We tend to meet people in life and idealize them and hope and expect the best from them but if they are not on a good path then it's likely not such good stuff will be coming from them. Well, I suppose this is all obvious to everyone on the planet but me right? Ok, so be it.

Anyway, I don't have any biking news to give you today- my two red beauties are gathering dust- I just can't bring myself to brave the cold.

I did happen to meet briefly last week with someone who races professionally (very very cute too) and it was humbling but fascinating to hear about. He suggested we go out for a ride at some point and while I'd love to do that- the thought also is a bit intimidating- It's been suggested I pull out my trainer and spend HOURS on it every day to get up to speed. too funny. I'm wondering if I spend the next two weeks on the trainer if it will make my legs shrink to about half their size?

well either way, I will be doing the killer spin class tomorrow at noon and if i'm energetic enough tomorrow evening i will do the class with the crazy pregnant bike racer instructor. (she's a killer)

Sorry to punish all of you with two postings, particularly the freakish self portrait-- Just use your imagination and then it looks a little better.

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS

1. having finished all my laundry
2. completing a good run on my treadmill
3. resisting the temptation to write exactly what I feel- the mean stuff - and then sending it in an email
4. singing Jack to sleep- he likes what he calls the "God song" it actually doesnt mention the deity at all but rather is a carole king song- "Love Makes the World Go Round" -- jack has good taste- I can't wait for him to crawl in bed next to me tomorrow morning-
5. getting beaten by Ben in a close backgammon game. My little guy is getting so big and smart. I remember the first time I got to spend time alone with him in the hospital and he fell asleep on my chest and at that moment I knew I had just begun to understand what life is all about.

Small steps, sometimes living life in 15 minute segments.

No comments: