Saturday, February 02, 2008

EVERY TIME YOU CLIMB UP A MOUNTAIN, YOU SOAR DOWN THE OTHER SIDE






Well, here I am, today on a road I always wanted to ride with my bike. I remember years ago, weighing nearly twice what I do now and thinking how nice it would be to be healthy enough to get out and ride this road on a bike.

This is the last of what is not developed near me and it is gradually disappearing. It was so quiet and at times all you can hear is your breathing, the wind and the only spoken word for miles is “moo”.

It’s been a really tough year for me, actually a really tough couple of years, well even longer really, but here I am, and this today was my road called life. My life is probably half over, and I plan to live the second half to its best.

I only road 24 miles today because I stopped many times, to touch the worn trunks of ancient trees, to look at the dancing craggy branches in apple orchards and to look ahead on the horizon at blue skies and crisp barns and grain silos. There were worn houses with sloping porches and rusty mailboxes. It all seemed so perfectly balanced to be in a world where most people probably only need to read the small town weekly paper to know who was born, who died, which farm was sold etc. In this life, people probably see more of the world than we ever give ourselves time to enjoy.

I stopped at a little farm and there was this baby sheep next to its mother, it must have just been born because its fur was wet and it still had its umbilical cord connected- it would wobble, then fall down on its little knees and then mother would gently nose it back up and he would fall backward. He kept on trying though and she stayed by him so protectively.

I saw horses, unbridled and so splendid, gallop in groups through wide pastures and then give me a watchful eye wondering if I would stay or leave.

This is my life, mountains to climb, challenges to face and I’ve decided that I’m going to ride into the sun as long as I can, and when I can’t ride, then I will walk, and when I can’t walk I will look, and when I can’t look I will feel the sun warm my face and when I can’t feel, then I will sleep and I will have lived a full life.

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS:
1.new days
2.being strong
3. finding hope
4.stopping to see and touch and smell all the details in life
5. finally getting it again.

No comments: