Sunday, September 17, 2006

Scary Ocean Swim



Ok, so I did my FOURTH triathlon this weekend. It was truly a sprint in distance but I have to tell you it was likely the scariest one-- It started with a half mile ocean swim. I don't know what it is about my luck but everytime I've had an open water swim in any kind of salt water, it has always been very rough waters. The Atlantic ocean was incredibly rough on Saturday. In fact, they were considering calling off the swim part of the triathlon and changing it out for a one mile beach run (yuck). They didn't-- we had to swim out about 150 yards past a buoy and then swim due south parallel to the shoreline (but mighty far out there) for half a mile. Getting out there was the hardest part-- many of the triathletes quit at this point or had to be rescued by the coast guard or lifeguards. I even pondered going this route myself but by the grace of God made it through the swimming portion. There was one point during this swim where I really thought I might actually be in danger. I was happy to finish the swimming part. The biking part was very very brief, only seven miles. This is short compared to the typical 19 miles I do on a traditional sprint triathlon-- But they were doing construction on the Indian River Inlet bridge so it was a quick short jaunt. I focussed on keeping my speed up because I knew I'd be slow in the running part.

The running portion, five kilometers, was mostly flat, running through downtown Dewey Beach into Rehobeth. It was fun, spectators lined the streets cheering us on (I was too embarassed to stop running, which was good). I finished the running part, but probably at the speed a 90 year old could do it walking!!!! The running is not my strong point and I have to say I was really a bit shaken up still by that ocean swim.

I will do this race again next year, but I will be much more respectful of that Atlantic Ocean. Oh, and this time I'll remember to bring my wetsuit. 72 degrees is chilly for a distance swim!

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS:

1. not drowning
2. completing 4 triathlons
3. sunny skies
4. tan lines
5. caramel popcorn

1 comment:

Leslie said...

What great pictures! You look fantastic AND like you are having a good time too!