Friday, September 15, 2006

RACES RACES RACES

Geez, I've been terrible at this! Since I've last posted I've done two triathlons and now I'm off to do another.

In Early August I did the Culpepper triathlon. It was great, in the foothills of the Shenandoah mountains-- The lake was beautiful-- steam was rising off of it just minutes before my toes touched the water. The bike ride, 30K, was very very hilly but all the while I was smiling as I looked at farmland and the Shenandoah off in the distance. I was really worried the night before because all these stuffy triathletes were in the town with really fancy bikes. Turns out, just a lot of uppity Bethesda, Md types who just like to spend money-- I passed many of them on the bike ride and a lot folks just didn't know how to use their equipment- snapping chains etc. Hmm. Oh well. I crawled to the finish line for the running part. I hate running.

In late august, the joy of my life, i did the Iron Girl in Columbia-- wowwee, what a race-- what a killer-- I ranked 1208 out of 1800 racers though-- wld have been better if I were better at running. It was am 850 meter swim in the lake- lovely. 30K bike- the hardest I've ever done-- the first hill was a 1000 ft incline over a mile and a half and then about a 4 mile hilly run around the lake (very mean running course)-- i did it-- I ranked 848 in the biking and 870 in the swimming so I'm a fast average in those areas. I had a great time and Tom Ben, Jack and Kathy were there at the finish line cheering me on-- it was great fun. We then went out and got really big burgers at this place in columbia and decadent decadent onion rings-- good stuff.

Last weekend I ran a 5K race with the Reuters running team. I am very slow but I ran the entire course-- I did about 12 minute miles. but i did not stop! that's the main thing. I kept going- ran down Pennsylvania Ave up to Capitol Hill and then back toward the White House-- great fun!!!!!!! We had a big pancake breakfast at the National Press Club afterwards--

I've been doing a good bit of running lately-- I think I've finally gotten religion on that. I've had some good influences in that area too. My goal at this point is to shave off at least 30 pounds over the winter so I am lean and mean for the spring/summer/fall 2007 racing season. I will intermittently add some 5Ks,10Ks and I'm likely to throw in a 10 miler or a half marathon-- it's all about fun. Obviously the Seagull Century, which is coming up in a few weeks will be a great highlight as well. My friend Dean is doing that with me and we are meeting up with my friend Rob Wells who is a great cyclist and his friend-- forgot his name. That shld be a great day more than 6000 riders for that.

Tomorrow I have the Dewey Beach Triathlon-- it's my only ocean swim race this year and I'm a little nervous about all the critters! It's a short race otherwise, whch is good b/c my training has been a little lax. It's a 1/2 mile ocean swim, only a 7 mile bike ride-- i will sprint this-- and then 5 k run on absolutely flat course-- i will try and boost my speed here as well. This one will be about not drowning and then picking up some speed-- wish me luck!

FIVE FAVORITE THINGS:

1. Iced coffee
2. not wearing the uncomfortable pants I wore to work yesterday
3. dark chocolate
4. driving alone
5. email

No comments: